13 November 2009

Me: "I had a dream. I was making golf balls out of fetuses."

Mrs Jones: "You want to kill babies, you see, and then make a game out of it. You are jealous of the other babies. Jealous of your brothers, jealous of my other patients. You want to kill them. And then you want to turn them into a little ball so you can smack them again. You want your mother and me to love only you."

- Elyn Saks, The Center Cannot Hold

It's like 'The Bell Jar' for psychotic kids. By kids I mean me.

8 comments:

Soren Lorensen said...

oh morning

i will see if the library has it today


Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

from the Second Coming by W. B Yeats.

wrenna said...

thanks for reminding me of that poem.

Mad Bird said...

God, I love that verse -

"Things fall apart,
The centre cannot hold."

My favorite Yeats quote of all of his that he has ever written.

The bell jar by Plath?

Mad Bird said...

May I add you to my blog roll?

wrenna said...

You don't have a blogroll do you? I don't usually ask. As long as no mental health professionals come after me it sounds okay.

Mad Bird said...

I do now. Ha, okay, thanks!

thesundaygap said...

Will read this, perhaps over Christmas with my family. Keep it up, kid.

wrenna said...

her coping style is dependent, whereas mine is avoidant. and i'm not that emotionally intense.