11 October 2010

my new plan for sleeping better involves olanzapine and melatonin. olanzapine prescribed by my doctor and melatonin on the recommendation of a pharmacist. the olanzapine was enough to stop what was probably psychosis creeping in - probably because I haven't felt panicked like I was since taking it - but left me feeling dazed and somewhat disoriented. it has a reputation for working quickly, making people sleepy, and raising blood sugar and cholesterol (along with the other standard warnings about antipsychotics), which is why the doctor gave it a go and the pharmacist was grossed out. melatonin is a hormone the body makes naturally, and can help you fall asleep, stay asleep, and sleep longer. sometimes people don't make enough melatonin. it's also a powerful antioxidant, which is nice, since antipsychotics are slightly carcinogenic. in any case, my worry and my sleep now have elixers of control.

No comments: