24 July 2011

Last night I had an unpleasant train ride home. Some girl was trying to get two guys twice her size to fight after one of them might have said crackhead when she got on the train. She had already extracted an apology, her white-trash, honour-bound, belly jiggling as she shook her finger and raised her voice. The second time she got up to start something the Asian ladies moved their children out of the way. "If you don't stop yelling I will push this button," I said to her, lisping through my retainer. One of the guys she had been calling gay stood up and pushed her off the train. She fake wrestled as the door closed. A young woman said she'd been bothered by the same girl the night before. Two stops down the line I got up to get off and the boys high-fived me and shook my hand. I like having my hand shook for calling law enforcement. I caught my bus. On my walk home I saw a coyote trotting along the dog run looking especially fit. We did a little dance. I want to stay away from you, I mimed, stay away from me.

4 comments:

Boris Kane said...

The train ride always garners greater unpleasantness than the bus ride. I wonder why...

wrenna said...

I'm not sure I agree, but then, you haven't told your stories.

wrenna said...

I should add that I've never heard of police brutality on our transit system, although some bus drivers have been attacked, and that when you place a call for help people in plainclothes show up to help deescalate the situation.

Boris Kane said...

we get such bad police brutality issues on the trains.

not to mention, because its such a sprawled city, everyone who lives too far by bus lives in a less desirable area; also they have no option to take the one bus, thus they must take the train as well. and theyre always drunk.

that's what happens when you live in a land built by convicts.