14 October 2011

On a psych ward you can generally tell who is craziest by the degree to which the standard issue pajamas coming at you are customized. Pajamas are open stock, which is convenient when, say, you have been focused on losing your mind and suddenly get your period and are bleeding all over the place because the giant hospital padding you had to ask a South Asian dude for is giant but awkwardly in the wrong place at the wrong time. Multiple layers, sizing, and especially adding one of the uselessly thin housecoats available are suggestive of the most marginalized and potentially dangerous people - the kind that create staffing issues because they have criminal records and nurses don't want to deal with them. These people will pressure you into giving them money and use it to shuffle, Haldol impairing their gait, on out of the place. People being assessed wear pajamas all day; the doctors and nurses are still trying to guesstimate what is going on inside their heads. Today I tried on a shirt in my favourite clothing store with a v-shaped bib and buttons. It read as unremitting, 24/7, psychosis. The salesgirl was enthused. The salesgirls in my favourite store all have infinitely finely tuned design sense and can discuss the stitching and wash on a pair of jeans in the form of a verbal essay (I always grab outrageous bell-bottoms to try with things, even though I don't own a pair) but the thing I cannot get over, which prevents me from breaking out of my "easy" style, is that they layer and mix their clothes like someone who is bat-shit crazy.

6 comments:

Boris Kane said...

lol

wrenna said...

I was hoping for someone to add some deeper meaning, but thank you.

Boris Kane said...

i couldnt help myself, the ending was tooooo good.

wrenna said...

:)

Factory Supervisor said...

I cannot myself add any deeper meaning, dressing like I do, which is some kind of lost in time 18th century gentleman with a trilby and tweed fixation, that and carrying an umbrella in all weather for security reasons.. I have maintained this renaissance look for such a long period of time & carry with such unremting confidence that people have begun to ignore me & just wonder if my TARDIS is infact parked around the corner.

wrenna said...

You don't dress like a crazy person, you dress like an artist and I think it's wonderful.