27 October 2011

Went without my antidepressant this morning and am feeling refreshed. Sometimes a gap is as good as a change. I saw my cat friends this morning. Harley, who is so shy, ventured out after me to sit down on my feet and purr. Her sister Molly turned around in her bed so that she could be closer to the purring, of which there was much. I wish I could bring them home and we'd be one very big family. The danger of working in a cat shelter is that you start to think at least three is requisite for 'cat immersion therapy.' In the mean time my cat has been enjoying only child pampering, which includes a walk a day. He's a bit timid too, so I've been attuning my senses to understand things like heading to the backyard when a garbage truck rumbles within a block and charging inside fearing danger when he hears the dog barking that someone has delivered a newspaper. Makes for a shorter walk.

4 comments:

Boris Kane said...

What's it like, walking a cat?

wrenna said...

walking with a cat has better flow than walking with a dog because it won't be, incessantly and disgustingly, stopping to pee and sniff other dogs' pee every five feet. my cat likes to scratch on the coconut husk mat first thing outside the door then stroll towards the grass, maybe for a quick peck. he likes to go to the front of the house and sometime walks into the bushes and so I have to stand there awkwardly while he has a little lie down in the fallen cedar. he will tug at the leash a little, trying to go through to the other side and I will hold my ground so he will come out again. If nothing scary happens he will poke his nose up the step to the neighbour's property, looking for their cat, who has now sadly gone missing. He will meander through the neighbour's side garden with its cosy native-plant stylings. Sometimes he gets scared and tries to run back inside, but I negotiate the terrain more slowly than he does, so it's a kind of stop-start charge. Sometimes then he will go back to check out our back yard. Sometimes I won't mind staying outside for forty minutes, sometimes after twenty I pick him up and head back it. It is meandering and slow. I'm never sure what is going to happen next. If I knew anything about zen I think I could get more out of the experience.

Boris Kane said...

Wow, so much more dynamic than walking a dog.

wrenna said...

Cats make superlative companions. There is a definite "withness" that evolves out of walking a cat, moreso than I experience in walking a dog.