08 November 2011

My presentation was warmly received by my professor, after I said I feel about writing like Susan Sontag, writing in the New York Review of Books during the 1970s, felt about photography: it's got to be some sort of perverse techno-surveillance enabled violation that steals part of your soul. And I disagree with Sontag on photography. My classmates managed to carry on a discussion, despite several of the most vocal ones admitting in the elevator after class that they had read maybe five pages of the book because they didn't get it, and my professor trying to motivate the idea of doing history through band-aids. I read the whole dense thing, laughing to myself, and a dozen interviews and articles on it, and concurrently memorized German words, even though the thought of it all made me want to kill myself.

6 comments:

Oscar said...

That is badasssss

wrenna said...

What part?

Oscar said...

All the work you put in and how your classmates admitted afterwards that they didn't understand the book. That would've been great to feel: that you know how much more effort you put in, that primal sense of your own greater perseverance to succeed compared to your peers.

wrenna said...

In an environment as blatantly elitist as university I'll take actual superiority over moral superiority any day. Despite the miniscule effort some of them put in they still had something to motivate speech, which we are graded on, and if I were in that position I wouldn't. I went to my German class and almost managed an a- when the class average on the quiz was 88%. It totally sucked. All of that memorization for nothing. Then the next class we had a listening exercise I didn't understand at all. I was too depressed to go swimming afterwards. I don't know how they understand this stuff when we don't learn any of the vocabulary in class.

Oscar said...

I guess universities are slightly different in Australia: they arent elitist at all, because we have the luck of a government that provides you a 0% interest loan until you get a full time job that can afford to pay the tuition fee back, it makes going to university so much more appealing.

That would suck big time. But im sure with all the effort you put in that one day that will come good and destroy them all!

wrenna said...

:) thank you.