13 January 2012

dammit... my efforts to watch "Shame" on the Internet have been foiled. Maybe on the weekend I will make it to a show.

I bought lamb for my quince tangine thing; it felt really carnivorous to be standing at the nice butcher ordering up my desired cut and portion of meat after my week of vegan lunches. The roast was three pounds; I took half; less than the recipe called for but more than enough. After buying my expensive meat I bought expensive saffron, thinking I'd better make the best expression of the recipe possible, in honour of both the currency and the little lamb. I have a big bag full of cheap saffron I throw into tomato curry, but real saffron is a whole nother deal. Saffron, like quince, is ineffable. I stood in the market inhaling my magical quinces and then got the hell out of there.

4 comments:

Oscar said...

This makes me feel like eating a roast, is this your own recipe?

wrenna said...

The recipe is from Claudia Roden's New Book of Middle Eastern Food. You can probably find it at a library.

Oscar said...

I shall look it up. Unfortunately libraries here aren't that thorough in many sections. It's more a case of jack of all trades, master of none. Than a master of ALL, which is what libraries should be...

wrenna said...

I have to go to the main city library for most things I want. In the area where I live the selection is uninspiring. I've taken this book out many times; I think I'm going to buy it.