21 January 2012

In the pursuit of more vegan lunches I am making my own vegetable stock. For one thing, I need a bigger pot to make the investment of time stock takes worthwhile. Having only made chicken stock I brushed up on my methodology with (shhh) Martha Stewart, and Alice Waters's Real Simple Food. Then I chunked up an onion and fried it until translucent, added a leek, two carrots, two parsnips, a couple small sticks of celery with leaves (the leaves are all-important) and a celery root and tried to heat them up in the oil. The pot seemed too full; we'll see. With my vegan lunches I inevitably get extremely hungry and have to work in a peanut butter sandwich once a week.

4 comments:

Factory Supervisor said...

The vegan at the dinner table of life... here's a torch, go into the garden and help yourself..
(Dylan Moran)
Sorry.. amused me anyway..!!

We can both agree on the peanut butter sandwich... does food ever actually get better than that?

:)

wrenna said...

I make these peanut butter sandwiches with jam and sliced banana... they are perfect once squashed a little in my book-purse. The other way around the 'not full' issue is a big dark beer. But I thought there was no peanut butter in the UK?

Factory Supervisor said...

Oh.. we have peanut butter and the very darkest of ales...
jam is also an option..
You'd like it here...
Join us.

wrenna said...

I am most envious of the architecture in Megan's photos.