23 September 2012

I don't get trips across the boarder for the sole purpose of visiting Trader Joe's. Especially when we need actual groceries. My mom brought back vats of proprietary yogurt and cheese laced with hormones. And she's the one who's usually paranoid about what goes into food. She actually lectures other people on this, both as a teacher and as a private citizen, when kids come to our door selling chocolate covered almonds for the youth groups that keep them out of trouble. Luckily the kid had a good come back: "actually, it's Coke Zero, so there are no teaspoons of sugar." I worry one day she'll get shot telling someone what to do in an American parking lot.

6 comments:

lostgander said...

That is our typical response down here. No one better lecture us about the trash we put in our bodies...OR ELSE.

wrenna said...

There is so much encouragement to put trash into one's body in a Trader Joe's. Sweet things everywhere. They make up like half the store.

lostgander said...

Yeah, it's mostly snacks. It's really a convenience store masquerading as a grocery store. And everything is so over-packaged. Produce on cardboard trays wrapped in plastic...ugh. The only thing good about it is that it's cheap. But if you actually cook at home good luck with finding everything on your list.

wrenna said...

You are a good ethnographer of Americana.

Imagine my disappointment that they didn't come home with any of Trader Joe's 85% chocolate.

lostgander said...

Tragic. That is some good stuff. I've only got a bar of 72% in my desk drawer (for emergencies, of course). However, a portion of its sales (supposedly) benefits education of Tanzanian children. In contrast, the murky and questionable product sourcing at Trader Joe's leads me to believe its chocolate is probably made from cocoa harvested by children working 15-hour days in Tanzania.

wrenna said...

I'm stuck with Lindt's 85% bar, which is not as truffley. I tell myself that it tastes sophisticated, but I have no idea what their product sourcing is like.