12 September 2012

My German literature class is great. I can understand the professor, unlike last year, and her ideas are interesting. My 17th century philosophy class is also good, in that the prof doesn't get bogged down in things that aren't important. I went to his office hours today and found out his specialty is Kant but that he has done some Heidegger. He was into discussing Deleuze's readings of Leibniz and Spinoza with me, which is super cool. I need these little tricks of enrichment in order to stay interested. My Darwin class is a lot of reading, but I met a graduate student in English there who wants to be study buddies. I am concerned that I have tests to write, which I haven't done in years. My mother wants me to take only two courses. She demands this. I want to take three, auditing the German lit class.

I am in communications with the secretary of graduate admissions at the library studies program I want to apply to and she has said that you need a minimum GPA of 3.3. When I got sick I stayed in school and failed classes. As it stands, she basically said that I wouldn't qualify based on my GPA.

4 comments:

lostgander said...

What nonsense about the GPA. It means nothing. My school's requirement was a 3.0. Regardless, I'd been out of school for five whole years before I went back so my undergraduate experience was completely irrelevant at that point. Oh, how I hate this reliance on arbitrary numbers...

Are there other school options with less stringent requirements?

wrenna said...

The secretary did mention a school with less stringent requirements but the basic problem, that I failed a bunch of third and fourth year classes while I was sick, remains. I know regular graduate programs sometimes offer special consideration in these cases. I don't know, we'll see.

lostgander said...

I suspect someone would offer leniency, given the circumstances. I remember explaining in my application essay my five-year absence from academia as well as my general stagnation during that time. I'd been working restaurant jobs and felt ill-prepared for a return to the rigors of formal study. And it was a bit rocky in the beginning but I persevered.

wrenna said...

And now you are a resounding success, with a job at a top university and the time to write Oulipean experiments. Thanks for giving me hope.