07 December 2012

My mom really really loves going walking with her dog. She all but begs the dog to go for a walk every morning. However the dog has turned on her and refuses to walk. The dog waits for her to leave the house and then comes whining and barking to my door. I get dressed and take her out and find her manners much improved. The dog runs like the wind and leaps over little dips in the ground. She has fun. I feel bad for my mom because even though dogs don't make my heart grow gentle and full of affection the way that cats do seeing the dog have fun is somewhat contagious. I tell the dog she is a good girl when she manages to walk by the other dogs that she is scared of. I would say this whole thing was because the dog can sense my mom's depression, but when my mom first got the dog I had dropped out of school because I was depressed and I was the one who had to take care of her during the day, and the dog would drag me out for two and three long walks every day. I would fight with her, trying to get her to walk where I wanted to go; it was awful. I don't know if she remembers this or how this fits into her canine conception of the universe. I was not full of devotion and the bearer of treats as my mom is.  

4 comments:

lostgander said...

I'm still trying to figure dogs out. After living with cats for so long, the dog language and mindset is completely foreign to me. People talk about dogs being pack animals and them looking for a leader. I don't know if that's true or not. The person who feeds them and/or takes them for walks would seem to be a natural for the position, but I don't think it's that cut and dried. I think there are subtleties we can't know.

wrenna said...

There seems to be a spot for a "no pressure" person (someone who ignores the animal but gets attention from it anyway) or "swapping parents" (I am the cat's parent but the dog will walk with me, the cat will snuggle in with my mom and the dog will hop off the bed because of it).

lostgander said...

In our house, I often ignore the dog while my girlfriend lavishes him with affection. But he is desperate for my attention. I think this is one of dogs' less endearing traits (while others seem to cherish it). What I find interesting with cats is that while they don't seem to seek direct attention, per se, they do tend to gravitate toward those who either ignore them or pay less attention to them. At least that's been my experience. If you want their attention you have to be subtle about it.

wrenna said...

People think my cat is kind of a dud because he runs away or balks when they try to approach him. I like that my cat likes to hang out in the same room as me when I am home during the day. He will lie on the bed, or under the quilt and sleep but I enjoy his presence. He came up to me today for a mid-morning snuggle after missing waking up with me and purred and stretched and put his head on my knee. During the afternoon he will often complain but likes then to be petted for a few moments. He tucks me in bed with a purr, and will come sit on the couch with me while I watch the news, especially if my mom is there too. I feel very loved and don't need a whole lot more from him.

Our dog is not desperate for anyone's attention, except on the rare occasion she wants me to go for a walk with her.. She will reportedly make a fuss in the early morning when she wakes up. Mostly she is a princess a the attention comes to her. My parents love to take her for car rides, so she'll get asked to come along during the day. Sometimes when my parents go away she gets sad because I don't fuss over her and I have to squeak one of her toys.