15 February 2013

A little while ago I wrote my x-boyfriend a little hello note. I have missed him all of these years and I may have been drinking. I heard nothing for a while and gave up. Then he wrote back, a letter I received on Valentine's Day, with a great deal of kindness, saying that he thought of me often and was glad I had gotten in touch because he is not good at keeping up with old friends. He is taking two antidepressants, which bring him out of his shell, but is still depressed. He is no longer in his PhD program but rides a motorbike to work as a forklift operator. I think the old girlfriend and the new girlfriend are the same person? He has been with her for 4 years. He sounds happy, which made me happy. He explained the rough time he was having when we broke things off, he said he had had psychotic moments too. He was often mean to me when he wasn't feeling well. His kindness is a kind of affirmation of life and what I had been holding on to so tight, but was always beyond reach. It feels okay now.

4 comments:

lostgander said...

This made me feel better about humanity today...thank you.

wrenna said...

Always good to feel better about humanity. I appreciate you stopping by and responding so kindly.

awildslimalien said...

I'm glad too that you have been subject to this life-affirming kind of kindness. Good to have that 'onwards!' feeling.

wrenna said...

:) Thank you very much.