18 February 2013

Yesterday one of the shelter cats attacked me - I woke up during the night with a strange pain in my finger joint. Before that though, near the end of my shift, a French woman came in and determined that the cat only liked to be patted on the head, before getting several bloody scratches of her own. Today, I tried her trick, letting the poor shaved skinny cat sniff my hand before gently stroking his head a few times. He did not hiss or lash out with claws and settled back down to nap. Twenty minutes before the end of my shift he got up out of his cage, jumped up in my lap and sat with me. It was the sweetest, his fragile body balanced on my knees. My heart filled up for him. When I had to put him back in his cage he did not freak out, but let me carry him. Moments of communication like that are incredible.

4 comments:

lostgander said...

Oh god, you're going to make me cry.

wrenna said...

Keep on smiling, I left my tip for the other volunteers so that he could have a maximum of love in his life.

lostgander said...

O good!

wrenna said...

I think I'm going to have to put on my mittens and take my cat for a walk... I really wish I could just pat his head and get him to sit on my lap.